MONETARY POLICY DECISIONS
Throughout the current financial crisis, central banks have engaged in continuous close consultation and
have cooperated in unprecedented joint actions such as the provision of liquidity to reduce strains in
Inflationary pressures have started to moderate in a number of countries, partly reflecting a marked
decline in energy and other commodity prices. Inflation expectations are diminishing and remain
anchored to price stability. The recent intensification of the financial crisis has augmented the downside
risks to growth and thus has diminished further the upside risks to price stability.
Some easing of global monetary conditions is therefore warranted. Accordingly, the Bank of Canada, the
Bank of England, the European Central Bank (ECB), the Federal Reserve, Sveriges Riksbank and the
Swiss National Bank are today announcing reductions in policy interest rates. The Bank of Japan
expresses its strong support of these policy actions.
The Governing Council of the ECB, by means of teleconferencing, has taken the following monetary
- The minimum bid rate on the main refinancing operations of the Eurosystem will be reduced by
50 basis points to 3.75 %, with effect from the main refinancing operation to be settled on
15 October 2008.
- The interest rate on the marginal lending facility will be reduced by 50 basis points to 4.75 %,
with immediate effect.
- The interest rate on the deposit facility will be reduced by 50 basis points to 2.75 %, with
In the euro area, upside inflationary risks have recently decreased further. It remains imperative to avoid
broad-based second-round effects in price and wage-setting. Keeping inflation expectations firmly
anchored in line with our objective and securing price stability in the medium term will support
sustainable growth and employment and contribute to financial stability.
- Bel20 sluit 0,9 procent lager af
- AB InBev trekt staart in, CBA keldert
- Trump zet beurzen opnieuw in het rood
- Groen licht voor beursgang Prosus (Naspers) in Amsterdam
- Powell: 'We zullen gepast reageren'
- Wall Street opent met verlies
- Belgisch ondernemersvertrouwen daalt vijfde maand op rij
- Futures wijzen op lagere Amerikaanse opening